Seems like just yesterday (okay, maybe more like last week) that I was nervously calling this new guy I was dating, to wish him a happy 30th birthday. I had a sneaking suspicion that I'd get to wish him many more happy birthdays, but I really had no idea just where we'd be 10 years later! And I definitely did not picture him with a mullet and a mustache, but I digress…
We surprised Andrew with a party a couple weeks before his birthday. Part of the surprise included having our good friends, the Geerdinks, there. Since they live 2 hours away, they came to visit for the weekend, rather than just coming for the party. Sneaky us, we still pulled off the surprise even with them already being here! So, included in 40th bday post, is our weekend of fun with friends.
First, let me just say that all of a sudden, the adults are outnumbered here. Thankfully, all the littles got along great, allowing for us big kids to really enjoy some quality time together! We even managed to get a walk around the lake in (dads and kids bailed out after 2 miles, but that was more than I expected our kids to do!)
 |
| Mile 0 groupie (group selfie?) |
 |
| Nina and the boys (all mushed into almost appearing as one kid in the background) |
 |
| Mid-walk groupie…not sure why the picture is so cloudy |
Sunday afternoon of course included watching some football...
 |
| Packers vs 9ers. Too many cheese heads! |
To pull off this Sunday night surprise party, the Geerdinks pretended they were leaving, but little did Andrew know, they were headed to his party! We used the hall at church to host the party. Hard to find a free and open restaurant/bar around these parts on a Sunday night. The church really worked out well though.
We were supposedly driving to pick up Adam and Shannon at her parents house (just past the church). As we rounded the corner, a group of people were standing outside church, and after a few seconds wondering why so many people were outside at church that night, Andrew realized they were all there for him. :) Thank you to all who came to help celebrate!
 |
| The surprise crew! |
 |
Bday boy with his babes
|
I'm not even sure how to caption this one. Definitley changed my perspective on mullets and mustaches!
On his actual birthday, we all got together to order up a day of great wind for the man of honor. He got to enjoy a good day of sailing on Elkhart Lake, probably one of his favorite bday gifts. :)
 |
| Unfortunately, I didn't get down to the beach in time to get any action shots, just this one of his sail at the end of the day. |
Being that his birthday fell on a Thursday, kids soccer took over the evening, but we managed to get in the all important birthday cake, and a round of Shanghai with Wayne and Cherie. We enjoyed a yummy Boston Creme Pie cake, expertly cut with the "scientifically correct" way to cut a round cake.
Andrew, you've entered a new decade with nothing but your usual grace, class, and sheer crazy. Here's to another decade of fun, family, friends, and good wind!
Love this. Love that you surprised him!
ReplyDelete