Monday, February 17, 2014

Cinderella!

Lately, Arjen has been really into "helping" when he sees me working around the house "Mom?  Can I vacuum?"  "Mom? Can I help make dinner? Can I cut the vegetables?" "Mom? Can I clean the windows?" "Mom?" "Mom?' "Mom?"….

So, I'm doing my best to get crafty with ways he can feel helpful, and actually be helpful, and minimize my need to supervise closely/maximize my ability to still get done whatever it is he's wanting to help with.  He's able to help feed the dog.  I've sprayed the windows with window cleaner, then given him a rag to get after it.  I mean, the only smudges are all coincidentally at his level anyways.  I've allowed him to vacuum, after he made sure to pick up all the bits and pieces of toys around.  Oh, and that was an interesting side note and glimpse into my future…instead of putting a set of large building blocks back in their usual home, he decided to just stuff them all under the piano bench to clear the floor so he could vacuum.  I fear that I have closet avalanches of toys awaiting me in 5 years.  And he finally figured out how to fold towels, and as long as he gets to "smooth" them first, he seems to get a kick out of helping with the laundry now too!  I'm trying really hard not to get too excited over the helpfulness…just incase it goes "poof!" into thin air...

Most recently, he really wanted to use a spray bottle, so I gave him one full of water, and a rag, and challenged him to clean up all the various spots that had accumulated on the kitchen floor (that had been driving me crazy, but I hadn't gotten around to mopping up yet).  This is my new favorite!  He actually did a really good job, it kept him busy for a good 15 minutes at least, and did I mention he actually did a really good job??  Cha-ching!  We have a winner!

The Proof!:



The physical therapist mom in me cringes at the poor body mechanics in this one, but I'll let him get addicted to being helpful before I start harping on his posture! 

He laid out the purple towel and folded each of the towels you see on top of it!  (After smoothing them with his handy dandy black and decker toy sander of course!  He made the connection between using the sander to smooth things - our limited definition that we gave him of it's function - and figured that it must be the same thing you use to smooth clothes then!)
 So, this isn't to say that we're ready to make up a chore list/schedule in this family yet, but, I hope I can manage to stay creative enough with house chores that his willingness to help keeps growing!


3 comments:

  1. I like his smile of satisfaction and feel good helping:). Midnight is a long ways away. Enjoy the magic Dev!

    ReplyDelete