Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Summer in Elkhart Lake, Part 1

Road trippin'
Road trppin'
               



Well, we survived a cross-country road trip with 2 kids and 2 dogs, and I have to say - it was way better than I would have ever expected or dreamed!  The first leg, with just me and the boys, went smoothly.  We left Davis for Reno on Thursday afternoon, to pick up Andrew at the Reno airport, figuring we could get a little headstart that way.  All went according to plan - I even was able to find a park near the airport where Arjen could run around a bit before Andrew's plane landed.  We could see planes coming and going, and with each one, I heard "dada!" as his little fingers pointed towards the sky.  Clearly, he understands the concept of how Andrew commutes to work.

Once we had Andrew with us, we took off to get as far across Nevada as we could.  We slept just outside Elko, Nevada the first night, made it thru Utah and across Wyoming on our first full day of driving, in time to have dinner in Cheyenne. For the past 3 years that we've been driving from CA to WI, Cherie has told us of Sanford's, a good place to stop and eat if you're ever in Cheyenne.  This time, we actually were there during business hours!

A church parking lot somewhere in Wyoming


Night 2 was spent at a rest stop in North Platte, Nebraska.  I had told Andrew that I wanted to stay in hotels if we were going to drive with kids, but they both were sound asleep in their carseats when we decided it was time to pull over.  The though of waking them up just to go sleep in a hotel, plus shuffling dogs, ourselves, etc, etc, well, we decided night 2 would be spent in the truck as well.  With a couple of camping mats in the back of the Excursion, it made for decent enough sleep.  Something woke us both early though, and off we went before sunrise.  Amazingly enough, both boys continued to sleep.  I was dumbfounded.  And thrilled!

By dusk on day 3 (which was really only full day 2) of driving, we arrived in Elkhart Lake.  I'm still shocked at how quick and easy the drive was.  I was glad we made it by Saturday, because it gave us a day to spend with Andrew here, before he had to turn around and fly back to LA.

Now, a week + later, Andrew is back, and on vacation for the week.  So far, we've seen the Elkhart fireworks (early, last Friday), "helped" Arden and Tracy move into their new home on Lake Winnebago, and watched the annual July 4th parade in Elkhart.  We've also picked up a few new toys along the way, namely, a pair of jetski's.

I wish I could say the lake house was ours.  Even if we can't have the house, I guess having a few toys to share at Arden and Tracy's new house is better than nothing!  The crew moved into their new home this past weekend, and has been gracious enough to let the rest of us crash the party all day while they're just scratching the surface on settling in.  Arjen is loving the time spent playing with his cousins, and "Aden" is probably the best, most clear name, that I've heard him speak to date.  This kid will be speaking by end of summer - I'm taking bets!

Here are a few pics however, from our first day playing at what I'm sure will be a place of many memories yet to be made...


Arjen has found his new idol...Aden.  Aden has been very kind and patient with this little kid who wants to do everything he does!

Gus enjoys a rest break with Gma and Gpa on the lakefront lawn

Looking back at the house from the lake
Gus getting a geography lesson from Adalin

A Milestone made!  Gus rolled over from back to front, all by himself!!



3 comments:

  1. So impressed with your road trip! And looks like you guys are having pure summer fun. There is something about those warm summer nights! Enjoy the family time. xoxo, Kel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family and more toys = a lot fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Looks like so much fun!! Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete