Monday, October 11, 2010

What's a pirate's favorite type of sock to wear?

In the hallway outside the NICU, there are a number of onesies, designed as halloween costumes for a contest.  A crowd pleaser is this little pirate outfit, which reads "Arrgh! Wipe me booty!"  Might be a fitting costume for Arjen, hearing all the different ways everyone does their best to pronounce his name.  But no, we did not name him from an old favorite pirate joke!

So here is your phonetics lesson for the day, courtesy of some random Dutch guy I found thru google:

Dutch J is like English 'consonant Y' (like in YES) . 

So when practicing how to say Arjen's name, pretend the J is a Y.  Ar-yen. 

Oh, and the answer is "Arrr-gyle"   
:)

3 comments:

  1. I'm sticking to Arjay (with a hard J sound) I think it's only fitting for Arjen's new favorite Auntie to have a nickname for her new favorite nephew :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the photo! It is adorable. What a great idea with the costume contest. I am glad to see we are a part of your blogging herd. :-) Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ar yen!
    Love the pirate outfit! I need your address. e-mail or text me... what a natural blogger you are.

    ReplyDelete