Gus is 2. Sweet. Holy. Moly. He's a pretty rockin' two year old. He continues to chase after everything and anything he sees that older brother doing, saying, trying. And all the while, maintaining his calm, cool, personality. Oh, with a sprinkle of scream and wail here and there, or sometimes more than a sprinkle. Yup, he's two.
![]() |
| Picnicking with his buddy Lachlan after Mom's boot camp class |
![]() |
| Enjoying a book at the library |
Highlights of Gus's current milestones:
- definitely talking A TON. He's putting together 4-5 word sentences at times. Granted, you usually need to "speak Gus" to catch what those long sentences are, but the kid is definitely speeding along with the communication business.
- running, starting to jump (like feet actually leaving the floor…almost), climbing, you name it. The only thing he doesn't seem too interested in is figuring out the strider bike. So it goes.
- coloring…he LOVES to color. Fortunately he's mostly figured out how to keep the colors to the paper only, and not the walls/chairs/doors/floor/table…
- reading. He's a big fan of books. You just can't leave him alone with any "peekaboo" or "flap" books, because there won't be any flaps left when you get back
- puzzles. Just this morning, I caught the little dude actually putting together a jigsaw puzzle, all by himself. He managed to get one whole corner put together without any help from anyone! Shoulda took a picture. I was impressed.
- using silverware. He's actually quite good with a spoon and fork now, and even starting to get the gist of using a fork and knife together. It's funny how focused I was on trying to "teach" all of these things to Arjen, but the 2nd time around, I realize there is a lot that kids pick up just from watching the rest of us.
- animals. The kid is a fan. As are most kids at this age. He's particularly fond of elephants ("eh-ehf") and giraffes ("jauf" which is easily confused with "juu" or juice and "joo" - shoes). Like I said, it helps if you know how to "speak Gus"
- order. He knows there is a certain order to life (sometimes). He actually helps to put toys away (sometimes). He grabs his snack/toy/book and heads to the door when we're getting ready to go somewhere (sometimes). He says please, and thank you, and help. He'll grab your hand to bring you where he needs you if the words fail him. And he knows his technology of course. It's frightening.
- courtesy. This boy is as thoughtful as I've seen them come. He'll get a cup for juice for not just himself, but for Arjen too. He'll get a toy for himself, then also for Arjen. He'll bring me the remote…oh wait, that's so I can turn the tv on for him. Well, at least he's thinking a couple steps ahead…
- he still manages to make nap and bedtime a bit of a headache, unless I catch his 5-minute window of readiness just perfectly, but most days I'm not that good. Fortunately, he manages to maintain his coolness even when thoroughly sleep deprived, which lately, seems like all the time. And also fortunately, once asleep, he's a pretty great sleeper.
- dare I jinx our progress, but I think he's also finally coming out of the shrill, shrieking phase. Seems like he's catching on that screaming isn't the most effective way to get our attention.
- focus. The kid is focused. He will easily entertain himself for probably 20-30 minutes at times. Or at least it seems that long to me. He'll sit and work on any of the above activities (puzzles, trains, coloring, duplos, stickers) and stay contently that way. It's fantastic!
- and one of my favorites, he's starting to sing the ABC's. I think I've heard him get as far as G. Seems appropriate he'd stop there. :) And he likes to count too…"three, two, three…"
- a few of my favorite "Gus-isms": "Shuh" (sure), "ah-igh" (alright), "no nah mama" (no nap mama - I laugh at this one, although I really don't care to hear it!), "deh oo goh" (there you go), and of course there's always the "buh" (phone, or the old iPod touch we let him play with)
We celebrated Gus's birthday this year with a bit of a mexican flair and a lot a bit of family. We've discovered a new favorite Mexican food place, actually inside a Mexican grocery store nearby. So we ordered up some tacos, and incorporated Gus's current fave video ("Planes") into the Tres Leches cake, with "el Chupacabra".
![]() |
| Practicing blowing out the candles on his actual birthday. |
![]() |
| The boys were having fun with a new birthday toy from their cousins |
![]() |
| The "El Chu" cake! |
![]() |
| Again, a little stunned by the fire |
![]() |
| Getting a closer look |
![]() |
| Since 3 out of every 4 years, Aunt Casey's bday is the day after Gus's, the party of course was in her honor too! |
![]() |
| He had no problem finishing off a rather large portion of cake and ice cream. |
Thank you to all the family and friends who helped us celebrate Gus's birthday! He is most definitely one lucky little dude!












Looks like a very awesome bday party for a very awesome kid!
ReplyDelete