9 months is an interesting one, because it reminds me that just about 18 months ago, I was in a totally different world of working full time, I had an eight/nine month old, and was 9 months away from getting another one! Crazy. Right now in my life, most of the time I don't know that I'd recommend to my friends/sisters to have kids this close together. However, as I sit here typing (instead of doing laundry, cleaning breakfast dishes, getting myself dressed...the list goes on), I'm watching these two boys of mine fully entertaining themselves with a roomful of toys, and I've only had to intervene once or twice. So I'd say that yeah, there is a light at the end of the tunnel of crazy, and maybe having kids this close in age is a pretty good thing after all. I'm already seeing an incredible bond forming between these two. While Arjen is still challenged with the task of being gentle with Gus, he clearly loves and wants to take care of his little brother (see video proof below). And Gus is starting to show signs of fighting back, err, standing up for himself, but clearly loves his big brother as he is constantly watching Arjen and trying to do what he does.
Anyways, what's Gus up to these days?
- cruising...the kid is not slowing down in his attempts to catch up with that brother. he even took his first steps while holding my hands at the doctor's office yesterday. Up until then, he'll cruise along walls and furniture, but would rather crawl than hold hands to walk.
- eating...surprise, surprise, I have another eating machine for a son. I'm starting a grocery savings fund now.
- teething!... Gus cut his first two teeth just before Thanksgiving, and today, used them in self defense against Arjen. oh boy.
- growing...at his 9 month check up yesterday, he measured in at 29.5 in tall and 23lb 15oz, both above the 90th percentile. We are currently taking bets for when Gus outgrows Arjen. And to make the odds betting fair, Arjen measured 37.5 in tall, and 32lb 6oz.
- sleeping!...dare I jinx myself, but deciding to put Gus in the same bedroom as Arjen was probably one of my better parenting decisions recently - for myself as the parent. We're still inconsistent, but Gus is finally starting to sleep through most of the night now, which means I am too!
- I'm sure there are more things that I am forgetting or not thinking of right now...call it mommy brain with residual sleep deprivation.
some pics and videos from today and the past month:
| Gus's first adventures out of the stroller at a park. This is the one near Andrew's office in Irvine. |
| Aunt Shannie helped push the snoozing kids on a jog around Davis. And Arjen was riding his Strider bike prior to napping in the stroller, hence the helmet! |
| During a playdate with Miss Sophie, Arjen received a very important business call. |
| Baba and her sous chef |
| Auntie Casey (or Dtee Dtee as Arjen pronounces it) getting some nephew love |
| Figured I'd throw in a pic of myself before my kids get old enough to read this blog and think I'm just a voice without a face! |
| Group date night with the Geerdinks and the Tsaos. Frits is hiding behind Nina, otherwise all 5 kiddos are accounted for! |
| Picking "little oranges" as Arjen calls the tangerines |
| Arjen is determined to get Gus riding ding dings |
| brotherly love |
| The PT in me had to show off Gus's squatting skills! |
My favorite post yet!:)
ReplyDeleteAwesome update
ReplyDelete