On February 28, our little family of three became a family of four. We welcomed Augustus Aeron at 3:53pm, weighing in at a sizeable 8lbs 10.5oz, and measuring 21.5 inches long. It was love at first sight for all of us, but particularly Arjen. As soon as he was set at my side, he flashed the biggest smile and reached out to very gently touch his little brother. I couldn't have been a prouder mom.
Arjen's first introduction to his brother Gus
Getting to hold Gus right away, and have him stay in the room with us was such a treat after our premie experience with Arjen. Perhaps Gus will be our patient child, since he waited until just 5 days before his due date to arrive.
As I'm sure all new parents do, I've been spending more time than I can count, just staring at my boys, admiring them, and of course checking to see how they resemble each other and their parents. A side by side comparison (I guess top to bottom technically - I still can't figure out how to get pictures side by side):
Arjen, 1 day old
Gus, 1 day old
So now we've been home just over a week with our family of four and two dogs. The dogs have been interested in Gus, but are still too preoccupied with avoiding Arjen as best they can. Pole-dog does a good enough job. I think Dito has given up though, or else he is so craving love and attention that he'll take it whenever he can get it, even if it means letting Arjen sit on him, lay on him, grab his hair, you name it. The boy loves his dogs, that's for sure.
Enjoying a lounge with Dito on a warm winter's day
I think it's safe to say we've settled into our routine for now. We're all happy to have Andrew home for a few weeks after he's spent the past year traveling to LA every week. Arjen continues to love his new title of "big brother", and when you ask him about it, he'll point to his wrist - one of the nurses at the hospital gave him an ID band that said big brother, and he still asks to wear it sometimes. He expresses concern for Gus when crying, and laughs when Gus makes newborn sounds or flails his limbs. I'm pretty confident at this point, that everyone who told me having kids this close in age is a wonderful thing, knew what they were talking about. Lets just hope Andrew and I can gracefully manage to navigate the looming "terrible two's", lots more diapers, and lots less sleep for a bit until we get to that stage where the boys are best of friends. The signs are clear though:
Big Bro in charge of navigating the hospital hallway
Hi Gus Gus!
Teaching his lil' bro all about dinosaurs
So I now have two kids to keep tabs on, update a blog about (modern day baby book!), and learn from. It's been an incredible 17 months so far with Arjen, and Gus has only improved our family by joining us. He so far has a very mild temperament, and I can already see him observing and absorbing the world around him. Welcome to the family Gus Gus!!
Love the photos! Can't wait to meet you Gus, Gus! Your big brother clearly adores you, as so he should. So many memories ahead for all of you. Love from Green Bay
Maybe Gus is going to look more like Mom?
ReplyDeleteLove the photos! Can't wait to meet you Gus, Gus! Your big brother clearly adores you, as so he should. So many memories ahead for all of you. Love from Green Bay
ReplyDelete