Arjen
One word, three letters: WOW. I mean, I know babies change fast...I'm about to chronicle Gus's changes over just the past month here next. But who knew that the changes after year two could be just as exciting and tremendous?? And this kid only just turned 2 not quite 3 months ago. (Okay, yes, I realize all you mom's out there with older kids already knew this). But as much experience and wisdom exists out there beyond little ol' me, I still get surprised by the new wisdom and experience I gain each day as a young mom (yes, I am calling myself a young mom! I mean, my kids at least are young. Sheesh.)
Perhaps having an emerging toddler racing to catch up with my near preschooler helps to put it all in perspective. I feel like Arjen was just learning how to walk, and now here he is running, jumping off of elevated surfaces and landing on both feet. Just yesterday, he put himself on a sled, and got down the hill all by himself!
Before I know it, I won't be able to keep up! He is more than just a parrot now too. The thoughts and words that come out of this kid's mouth shock us on a daily basis. I mean, a) I now realize that I too, have to watch what comes out of my mouth as I hear it being repeated back to me, and in the proper context, and b) how is he possibly old/smart/big enough to know some of these things?? A recent favorite example:
Me: Arjen, where'd your food go?
Arjen: it's gone...in my mouth
Arjen and I were at the grocery store and he randomly blurted out "Daddy brings home the bacon." We were nowhere near the bacon.
He'll give us directions, correct ones, for which way to turn to get to Baba's house or Cher Cher's house
And the pretend play he now does:
- orange slices became a motorcycle and gas can
- banana peels became a trailer and hitch that say beep beep as they drive along the table
- he grabs his little motorcycle/carry-on bag, throws it over his shoulder, then goes to sit on the rocking horse and says "I go on trip" or "I go on adventure"
And the musical play:
- he'll sit down at the piano and proceed to "play" and sing Jingle Bells
- he picked up a microphone and started singing into it
- he sings himself and his brother to sleep
And the arts and crafts:
- he managed to swipe a pair of kid scissors from Baba's kindergarten class, and loves cutting paper to pieces
- he likes drawing, and now will actually tell us what the masterpiece on the paper is supposed to be (thankfully!)
He's starting to count and learn his letters.
And sometimes, just sometimes, I think he might actually be learning the difference between playing with Gus and trampling over Gus, and that we'd really rather he stick to playing. Fortunately, Gus is getting older, wiser, and bigger too...
![]() |
| I'm 10 months old today! |
...which brings me to Mr. Gus:
save the best for last? or start of with a bang?? it's almost new year's, lets go for big bang!!! watch...
Aaah, yes, the gentle giant is about to get even more mobile than he already is. For the past few days, he's been wowing us with his attempts at taking 1-2 steps without holding on. He actually cooperated today to give us this video! And smiling the whole time no less. For the past 10 months, everyone has been telling me what a happy baby he is. I think I'm finally starting to realize how right they all are! Not that I didn't agree already, but this kid really, truly, is a happy dude.
He is becoming more expressive, or I should say communicative, now too. He'll look or point in a direction he wants you to go (this he particularly likes doing in the middle of the night if I try to keep him in his room with Arjen to try and walk him back to sleep...he'll lean towards the door to say "no mom, take me to your room where I know you'll sit down to nurse me!"). Just the other day, both Andrew and I were convinced we heard him say "uh-oh" as he pointed to something that fell to the floor. And I've had myself convinced for awhile now, that he definitely is saying "mama". Call it selective hearing if you wish, but I know he's talking to me. And I'm pretty sure he's showing the beginning of using baby signs. A girl can dream!
Like his big brother, the boy can eat. And he's getting the teeth to help too! His two bottom teeth are close to all the way in now, and we just noticed the top two cutting through. Maybe now he'll start sleeping better??
Like his big brother, the boy can eat. And he's getting the teeth to help too! His two bottom teeth are close to all the way in now, and we just noticed the top two cutting through. Maybe now he'll start sleeping better??
Gus has been impressing me this past week too, with a new focus I'm noticing when he plays with toys. All of a sudden, he's really actually playing with the toys. I remember this with Arjen too. It's like watching a switch turn on in the brain and all of a sudden you can just see the mind working as he plays with toys: things fit inside other things, certain buttons make sounds, pieces move, and anything Arjen has his hands on must be the absolute coolest thing to check out! On days when Gus is awake while Arjen naps, I can't help but smile at Gus as he enjoys checking out all the toys without being interrupted by his older brother. Of course, I don't think to take photos of these moments, but I do have some pics and video of Gus's first sledding adventures. A little outdoor quality time with mom and dad while big bro was napping...
![]() |
| I'm pretty sure this is the cutest kid ever |


No comments:
Post a Comment